RECIPE// Salty Sweet Popcorn
by Gippsland Jersey
Want to know the secret to avoiding soggy popcorn? It’s GHEE!
If you’ve ever felt frustrated at not being able to replicate the perfect cinema popcorn at home, then feel frustrated no longer. Using clarified butter or ghee instead of regular butter will give you all the flavour without the sog factor, and Gippsland Jersey happens to sell some of the best ghee going ‘round!
The easiest way to do this is to pour melted ghee over popped popcorn, followed by a sprinkling of salt to taste. We took this recipe one step further recently, resulting in crunchy sweet and salted popcorn with an addictive factor that will keep you coming back for more.
Check out our recipe below!
SWEET AND SALTY POPCORN:
Prep time: 15 mins
Serves: 3-4 (but we won’t judge if it just serves one)
3 tbsp Gippsland Jersey Ghee
¾ cup popcorn kernels
3 tbsp castor sugar
2 tbsp extra ghee
Flakey sea salt
- Place 3 tbsp Ghee in a large 10L pot over medium heat.
- Add 2 tbsp castor sugar and stir to combine thoroughly
- When ghee is melted and sugar dissolved add kernels, stir to mix thoroughly with sugar ghee mixture, then clamp lid on. The kernels will start popping after a minute or so.
- Shake briefly once after 30 seconds or so and keep an eye on kernels getting too brown. They will colour more easily with the sugar. When the popping stops, immediately pour popcorn into a large bowl.
- Melt extra ghee in microwave. Pour over popcorn, sprinkle with salt. Shake and toss well to disperse. Enjoy!