RECIPE// Roast Garlic Potato Bake
by Gippsland Jersey
We know that the cooler months and the end of daylight savings can be a source of sadness, but not to worry - we have just the recipe that will warm you up!
This cheesy potato bake is infused with a whole head of roast garlic, has lashings of Gippsland Jersey pouring cream, and a knob of golden GJ butter to boot!
Our pouring cream is the perfect texture to make this recipe silken and delicious. Create a glossy bechamel sauce to begin with, add cheese, layer with potatoes and you’ll be onto a dinner winner with minimal effort. This potato bake packs a garlic punch and will serve a crowd. It is sure to become a firm family favourite!
Check out the recipe below.
- 8-10 potatoes with low to medium starch (we used desiree)
- 1/4 cup Gippsland Jersey butter
- 1 medium red or brown onion diced
- 1 head of garlic
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups Gippsland Jersey pouring cream
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- ½ tsp rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cheddar grated
- 1 cup mozzarella grated
- 3/4 cup parmesan grated
- Thinly slice washed potatoes (3mm or so) with a mandoline. Set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 180C.
- Slice the top off the head of garlic and drizzle with olive oil and sea salt. Wrap in foil and bake in oven for 30 mins. Put in fridge to cool.
- In a pot or frying pan, turn heat to medium and add butter. Once butter is melted and bubbling, add diced onions and roast garlic squeezed out of its skin. Sauté for 1-2 minute or until they are soft and translucent, but avoid overcooking.
- Add flour and stir to combine. Once combined, add cream, chicken broth, thyme and salt/pepper. Stir and bring to a boil. Continue stirring and cook for a few minutes until there are no lumps, or until sauce thickens slightly.
- Turn off heat and add grated cheddar and grated mozzarella. Stir to combine.
- Grease a 9″ x 13″ casserole dish. Add 1/3 of the potatoes to casserole, then spread 1/3 of the cheese sauce onto potatoes, then add the next 1/3 of potatoes and cheese sauce, until all the potatoes and cheese are layered. Top with chopped rosemary and parmesan for a cheesy crust.
- Cover casserole with aluminum foil, bake for 30 minutes. Uncover casserole and bake for another 35-45 minutes until potatoes are cooked through and top is golden brown.
- Cool for 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!