RECIPE// Hot Cross Bun Recipe
by Gippsland Jersey
Our incredibly delicious Hot Cross Bun Recipe will have them all begging for more.. The secret ingredient is Gippsland Jersey cultured buttermilk!
2 tsp dried instant yeast
500g plain four
tsp ground all spice
tsp fresh grated nutmeg
300ml Cultured Gippsland Jersey Buttermilk
60g Cultured Gippsland Jersey Butter
1 large free range egg
140g a mix of currants, sultanas and raisins
30g mixed peel
2 tbsp self-raising flour
2 tbsp cold water
150 ml boiling water
Proving time: 2 hours
1. Sift together yeast, flour, sugar, salt and spices to evenly distribute.
2. In a small saucepan, gently heat the buttermilk over a low temperature and melt the butter into it.
3. In a separate bowl, beat the egg.
4. Add the buttermilk and butter mixture to the flour and mix thoroughly. Add the egg and mix well to form a dough.
5. Work in the dried fruit and peel.
6. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes or until it feels smooth and is no longer sticky. Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm spot to prove for 1hour or until doubled in size.
7. Punch down the dough and then separate it into 12 equal portions.
8. Place the buns close together on a lightly greased baking tray. Cover and allow to rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size and very light.
9. Preheat oven to 220C. To make the crosses, mix the flour and water thoroughly to form a thick paste. Spoon into a zip-lock bag, cut a little hole out of the corner of the bag and use it to pipe the mixture in crosses on top of the buns.
10. Bake the topped buns for 15-20 minutes.
11. To make the glaze, mix together all ingredients, dissolving the sugar in the boiling water. Brush glaze over the buns lightly while still hot.
Serve with Cultured Chocolate Butter and Creme Fraiche
We have a special Easter offer to do something a little bit different this Easter! Get a FREE 1 Litre Buttermilk and a copy of the recipe with any order placed on our online shop before 8pm AEST Thursday 7th April 2022.