RECIPE// Creamiest Traditional Eggnog
by Gippsland Jersey
Get ready for the creamiest Gippsland Jersey eggnog! This traditional eggnog recipe uses the most premium and delicious cream and milk (ours of course) to create the ultimate holiday beverage. Our cream is exceptionally good in this recipe thanks to it's natural, thin consistency, it really is the secret ingredient!
Make this eggnog ahead of time and keep it in your fridge for a little festive tipple whenever it takes your fancy. It lasts around a week, with the addition of alcohol acting as an extra preservative. It can also be made alcohol-free if you have little ones that would like to enjoy it.
Although some eggnogs are served warm, this cool version is perfect for the warmer Australian Christmas. It’s creamy, luxurious, lightly spiced, lightly spiked (!) and an amazing addition to any holiday celebration.
Check out our recipe below!
Creamiest Gippsland Jersey Eggnog
Prep time: 25 mins
6 egg yolks
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 cup Gippsland Jersey cream
2 cups Gippsland Jersey Full Cream milk
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Pinch of salt
Ground cinnamon, for topping
Alcohol of choice ie: bourbon, rum, whiskey (1/3 cup or to taste)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together in a medium bowl until light and creamy. An electric mixer might work best here.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the Gippsland Jersey cream, milk, nutmeg and salt. Stir often until mixture is steaming and reaches a very light simmer.
- Temper the egg mixture by adding the hot milk mixture VERY gradually to it, a ladle full at a time whisking vigorously all the while.
- When the milk has been incorporated, reheat the mixture over the stove until it is slightly thickened and coats the back of a wooden spoon. It will thicken more as it cools.
- Remove from heat and stir in alcohol of choice and vanilla.
- Strain the mixture into a bottle or container and cover in plastic wrap. Serve with a sprinkle of cinnamon, and fresh whipped cream, if desired. Store homemade eggnog in the fridge for up to one week.